If you are one of those runners who obsesses over keeping every bib and collecting bling – this craft is for YOU! And if you haven’t kept your bibs in the past, you may want to start 😉 This is a pretty easy one to do, as long as you can work a drill (if you don’t know how to, PLEASE learn…. it’s one of those skills that every woman needs to know how to do!)
Bibs and Bling Display
There are SO many different ways you can do these so I’m going to show you a basic bib and medal holder, then offer suggestions on ways you can really up your display game 😉 When you are making yours, be sure to put your own unique spin on it. If you like loud and funky colors – go loud and funky. If you like simple and classy, let the bibs and medals do all the talking. I paid roughly around $15 for this one – but I also had some supplies already at home like the binder clips, vinyl, paint and screws.
- Stack of race bibs and bling
- Wooden board (this board is 12″ wide and came from Michaels. It was $14.99 (and I’m “frugal”) so I passed it up the first time thinking I could find something cheaper….. then came back to this one because it really was the PERFECT size and already cut. I used a 50% coupon though so I got a great deal. You can use ANY board that fits your bling and bib needs…. There are all sizes and shapes of boards pre-cut or you can cut your own. You can even assemble your own out of pallet wood which you can usually get FREE!
- Two screws to hold the binding clips on for your bibs
- Two binding clips – any size, just make sure they are large enough if you have a bunch of bibs! You can always go back and get larger as your stack grows 😉
- Hooks (or drawer pulls) for your medals. I used 3 but depending on your collection, you can use more! Hobby Lobby had an INSANE selection of drawer pulls – like seriously, I couldn’t decide which ones I liked best!!!! Most were $4.99 then they had 50% off of all drawer pulls that week (score!) I couldn’t resist the little “thumbs up” thumbs, but also thought the chalk board ones were cool so I bought both to decide at home 😉
Note: You can also use a tiny curtain rod or a dowel if you want to hang your medals on a bar across the bottom!
- Paint for the board. You can also use Mod Podge and scrapbook paper if you want to get all funky and fancy.
- Vinyl decals, sticky letters, or if you want to free hand wording you can do that too! (or leave blank – your call!)
- Screws & Wire or some form of hanger to hang on the wall.
- I painted my board first, but in hindsight I think I’d rather drill holes first… So, Drill Holes 😉 You will need to measure your board and figure out where you want the hooks and bibs to go. I’d recommend clipping your bibs together and laying out your game plan. Once you’ve placed everything you can drill your holes. You will want to pre-drill holes for your screws too so you don’t split the wood. Remember you will need to drill all the way through for the drawer pulls if you are using those as hooks.
- Sand and paint the board
- Once the board is dry you can give another light sanding to “antique” it a bit if you want – or if you like it solid painted then leave it!
- Add your wording (if you choose to use it) at the top. You can get pre-cut wood letters, or you can order custom vinyl from vinyl companies on etsy! If you want to paint wording on – here’s a tip! Print out your wording on computer paper. Take a ball point pin and trace over the outside of the lettering with the wood below it. Make sure you press hard enough to leave an indention in the wood. Then when you go to paint – you have a “guide” so that your lettering is neat!
- Screw in the screws for binder clips (After I took my “supplies” photo I found dark screws in the garage so I used those instead of the silver ones!)
- Screw in the drawer pulls
- Flip over and attach your screws/wire to hang. You will notice that depending on the thickness of your wood board, your drawer pulls may stick out in the back. I just adjusted my screws that I used to hang the display so that they stuck out as far as the drawer pulls!
- Place your bibs with binder clips on the screws. If you need to adjust your clips just slide them around – that’s the beauty of using clips!
- Hang your beautiful display with pride and admirer your accomplishments!
Here is another option using Chalkboard Paint (so you can change your PR!) and a clipboard clip from Hobby Lobby! This came from one of our MRTT chapters who did a crafting party with their chapter! Love it!